Friday 16 August 2024

 

To Bloom or not to Bloom

“This is for you,” she announced as she handed me a ruby red leaf.

“Why thank you, Cara,” I exclaimed as I received it. “Do you know what kind of leaf this is?”

“An autumn leaf!” was the reply.

“You’re right, it is a lovely autumn leaf, but it’s also a maple leaf.” I informed her. “I’ll place it in this vase on my desk and it’ll remind me of you when I look at it.”

 

When you teach in a primary classroom, you’re frequently presented with special, seasonal gifts and surprises and you never know what stories will transpire out of them!  In autumn, you might receive a pretty leaf or caterpillar.  Winter wonders can include frosty pine cones, or perhaps a sparkling row of icicles might be pointed out during a walk across the yard with your class.  Spring, with new buds and blossoms bursting forth, could bring any number of plants!  

Fistfuls of brilliant blossoms presented by beaming youngsters are as common in my classroom each spring as robins tweeting on boughs and branches.  This year is no exception!  As usual, I stuff the dandelions into a vase, jar or whatever container is available.   We enjoy the blooms for a few days and once they start drooping, we discard them, and they’re soon replaced by yet another bright bouquet plucked by one of my precocious primary pupils. 

Before school let out for the summer, one such posy graced our staff room table; several blooms had sadly hung their tired heads. 

As usual, at the end of the day, my students pick a library book for their home-reading and were now lined up and waiting for me to sign out their selections.  “Oh,” one loquacious lass exclaimed as she gazed at the bouquet, “Your bloomers are down.”

Before I had time to give her the definition of said garment, a young lad peered at her somewhat appalled and sternly stated, “Those are underwear!”

What could I do but shake my head and enjoy a chuckle as I started planning for another school day; perhaps wondering what underthings will be brought to light next.

No comments:

Post a Comment