Saturday 21 June 2014

Multiplication Table



In grade 3 students are required to"demonstrate and understanding of multiplication to 5 x 5 by representing and explaining multiplication using equal groups and arrays."

 

Multiplication Match

Typically when I teach this unit I have my students build arrays and match them with repeated addition and multiplication sentences.

 

Grid Paper Charts

 I've also had them create multiplication charts using grid paper.

 

Commercial Array Charts

Commercial array charts are available and since I have several in my classroom, I've cut one up for students to assemble. For some students building this array can be rather difficult.

 

 Area Blocks Chart

This year I added a stepping store between the matching activities and creating multiplication charts: I had my students first build the charts using area blocks and number cards.









When it came time for the students to create their own paper charts, it was apparent that first building the "area blocks" made this final step easier for some students.  After they finished gluing, I had them write the products on the green arrays.  One student quickly piped up, "I get the pattern. Row 1 is counting by 1s, row 2 by 2s and so on."
Always nice to hear kids verbalize that the "get it."


1 comment:

  1. I like this. Building your own multiplication chart. I was 'going' to do something with it this year but didn't get around to it. Definitely will keep this in mind as building/creating about own learning is supposed to be one of the best ways to learn. Thanks for sharing:D.

    ReplyDelete